Help identifying a seal at the bottom of a vase?

Started by alk2028, May 28, 2015, 20:09:32

Previous topic - Next topic

alk2028

Dear all,

My mother has owned this vase for quite some time, and she asked me if I could help identify the seal at the bottom. I know close to nothing about the piece, and any help would be appreciated!

Stan

Made at Jingdezhen, " Jing de zhen zhi ". Most marks are spurious and therefor you should up load pictures of the whole item, and pictures of the detail and one of the bottom foot rim to determine the true age.

alk2028

Thanks for the quick reply!

Here are some more pictures - with my cat for scale!

Stan

Nice picture of the whole vase, but I still need a picture of the whole bottom shown at an angle so we can see the outside and inside of the foot rim, also a close up of the decoration and close ups of any age signs like missing glaze, pinholes, rust spots, and maybe a picture of the top edge, thanks.

peterp

The Jingdezhen mark was not used before the second half of the 20th century. As there are hundreds of individual kilns there (see www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/jingdezhen.html) this does not point to a specific kiln or factory either.

Stan

Hi Peter, I just want to make sure I am getting this right, the Jingdezhen Imperial rein marks written in the Zhuanshu script was not being used until after the mid 20th century, is that correct, I could tell just by the way the design was drawn on this piece that it was 2nd half of the 20th century, but that is good to know about the mark, Thanks.

peterp

> Jingdezhen Imperial rein marks written in the Zhuanshu script was not being used until after the mid 20th century

Not sure what you are referring to, Stan. Nobody said that this is an "imperial" mark.
The mark states "Made in Jingdezhen". Jingdezhen is a town in China where the official kiln (imperial kiln) was located. As there were hundreds of other kilns too, most porcelain made in the town of Jingdezhen was made in one of the many private (minyao) kilns.
Marks using "Made in Jingdezhen" or "Jingdezhen" are usually 2nd half of 20th century. I'm not quite sure when the Jingdezhen mark appeared first, but after the first 'factory' marks, and in the PRC period.

Stan

Sorry Peter for misusing using the word Imperial.