Oriental Moon Flask

Started by joannekerryreed, May 27, 2015, 16:44:08

Previous topic - Next topic

joannekerryreed

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me anything about my moon flask? 

I bought it for 50p from a second hand store about 3 years ago thinking it was a bud vase.  It has no chips or cracks just a few tiny speckle marks. 

The black handwriting on the base was there when I bought it.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Stan

I think this is a fairly recent made item, two decades at the most.

joannekerryreed

Hi Stan

Thanks for the reply.  Can you tell me what led you to this decision and do you know anything about the black writing underneath.

I have searched the internet and it's coming up with nothing substantial for me.

Do you know who the makers are?

Garrett

These flasks are fairly common.  You can go to almost any antique mall and find these with similar markings.  I can't help with the black writing but it doesn't appear to be anything significant.  Also, this design is extremely common on export items and reproduction items.  I have a few late 19th century pieces with the same design.  I would think that Stan is right that it is a reproduction of an older export design.

Stan

It was the blue color that makes me think that it is recently made, Garrett is right about it being a reproduction,the late 19th century would have had a much darker blue color and the decoration is a little crude, traditional blue and white would be higher quality I think.

peterp

In addition to what already was mentioned, forthe benefit of all who read this, I would like to comment on two features which almost always point to later, non-antique items.
First, the wide and flat foot rim. Such a wide foot rim would be more likely on a large, heavy item, but it is relatively rare anyway on Qing dynasty items.
Second, where the surface is evenly covered with elements of the decoration, this is often a fake.
With an old item I would expect some sort of cohesive picture, like the scenery containing a lake, mountains, boats and pavilions, and trees.
If you look at the single elements, you will find that it looks as if the willow pattern was taken apart and the single elements strewn over the whole area.