Butterfly Plates, Famille Rose? Antique?

Started by eman, May 21, 2015, 05:17:31

Previous topic - Next topic

eman

Hello Peter,
I have a set of 10 butterfly plates. They seem to be old and of very good quality. Based on the markings, can you tell the age of these plates? Is the pattern Famille Rose?

Thank you!

Garrett

This looks to be Japanese, but can't be certain. If you send closer pictures of the footrim then it will be easier to tell. I'm not an expert but I have a Japanese rose medallion plate that looks very similar in terms of shape. Hope that helps.

eman

Thank you for the reply. I'll post a photo of the rim.

peterp

I do not know if that could be Japanese, but to me it looks fairly recent. There is a four character Kangxi mark. The characters are not in a writing style as found in marks of older Chinese porcelain.

eman

Garrett

I'm almost 100 percent that is Japanese. They mimicked the Chinese designs often. I'll see if I can post a picture of my Japanese plate that I have with the same foot rim.

Garrett

Not at all an expert but take a look at the similarities.

Stan

Hi Garrett, the bottom on your plate has kiln marks on the bottom that is typical for Japanese porcelain but these marks do not appear on Chinese porcelain, not to mention that your plate is marked Aoki which is a known Arita potter, even though they look similar, I agree with Peter, a modern Chinese plate.

peterp

If the foot rim is slanted on the inner face but straight up on the outer, as the picture seems to show, then it was almost certainly made later in the 20th century.

Garrett

Thank you Stan, I appreciate the input. I understood that the mark was Arita but didn't understand the differences regarding kiln artifacts. Thanks again, love learning about this stuff.