Famille Jaune porcelain

Started by Stan, Mar 01, 2014, 14:08:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I recently required these two vases at an auction, they were listed as early republic to the mid 20th century, I personally believe that they are early republic, the inside of the vases have all the nice pitting and stress cracks that you would want to see in antique porcelain and under a loop you can see the small rust spots in certain areas, the Yongheng mark is stamped and the vase has a blue over glaze, they are 28.57cm high and are heavy for there size, I wish you could see the inside, it has a bluish white over glaze and to me looks like it could be late 19th century but the out side is almost flawless except for some small pitting and rust spots, your expertise is mush appreciated , the web page is http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/sday777/library/  please let me know what you think.

Stan.

Stan

I just figured out how to make my photos smaller using photo shop, this is what the inside on the vases look like.

Stan

This is what an older period vase should look like, after cleaning it with soap and water, the newer vases look new, with not pitting or cracking.

peterp

Stan, I'm not convinced that this is antique. But then, if it were around mid-20th century, the painting style (birds) could still fit. In my view the pitting is much too exessive for a 20th century item. And, I do not have any knowledge of this apocryphal mark being used in the early republic. I am mainly concerned with base color, shape and bottom/mark.
BTW, I would be careful with items having a glaze irregularity along the bottom, either on the inside or outside. Sometimes old, genuine bottoms are attached to newer bodies.
I'm afraid I cannot be of much with items of this age...

Stan

Hi Peter, thank you for your expert advise, for my sake I hope that is not what happened, I have read articles on the web about such trickery I hope I did not get burned again, luckily I did not pay that much for them, thanks again, from Stan.

Stan

Hi Peter, an antique dealer that is pretty knowledgeable on Chinese antique porcelain did a hands on inspection of these vases, I asked him if he thought that the bottoms were cut off and older bottoms put on to make them look older and he said, no, the unglazed portion on the bottom is to dense and very little impurities in the porcelain to be older, he also said that vases that the fakers would fake would be more traditional than these and it would not have been worth it, but he did agree that they are mid 20th century.