Any information gratefully received

Started by sgat_555, May 01, 2015, 03:54:50

Previous topic - Next topic

sgat_555

Dear All,

We have several pieces of what I presume are Chinese pottery. Attached are pictures of two examples.

I would be VERY interested if anyone could shed any light onto the origins and/or makers of these items. My grandmother had an antiques shop many years ago and these were left over when she died. I know nothing about them except that they have been in the family as long as I can remember (39 years).

Many thanks, Stuart

Stan

Close up pictures of the faces and also a full picture of the back at an angle to show clearly the inside and the outside of the foot, these are necessary for determining age, thanks.

peterp

Please try taking pictures under natural light conditions, near a window. The size should be at least 100kB to allow for sufficient resolution for viewing.

sgat_555

Thank you very much for the replies!

I will post the best pictures I have and get better ones according to your suggestions when I am next home.

All the best, Stuart

sgat_555

Stan

I believe that these are mid 19th century Famille Rose " Rose Medallion" Chinese Export Porcelain, I think the bowl might have had a lid at one time.

Stan

The scalloped bowl that is, might have had a lid, also the colors on the scalloped bowl, if they are the correct colors, could point to a later date maybe first half of the 20th century.

Stan

Hi Peter, I just noticed the bowl that is not scalloped has a combination of Key fret and double swirl patterns, the double swirl would put this at a much later period, sorry I did not catch that, my eye is not as trained as yours, the Key fret pattern is used only by their self on the earlier, ones, with the double swirl it would have to be early republic.

sgat_555

Thank you so much for the information! It's amazing what knowledge is on forums like this.

Really interesting to hear the scalloped bowl would have had a lid. Must have been quite a feat to match such a complex geometrical shape. Have many survived complete with lid?

On the subject of robustness, are the finishes in these items quite tough? My mother uses the large bowl (40cm diameter) as a fruit bowl and the scalloped one for odds and ends. They're doesn't appear to be any damage occurring but wouldn't want anything to happen to something so old.

Very interested in porcelain now so I will fish or the other pieces. They have a blue/green base colour and aren't quite as fine as these.

Thank you again! Stuart

Stan

Hi Stuart, the smaller scalloped bowls had lids and the lids are round not scalloped, they would have been smaller than the scalloped areas to fit inside the bowl just under the scallops, and the finishes are white ground with colored glazed enamels, they are very hard and durable, over time it is mostly the gold that wares off.

peterp

I think closeup pictures of some faces is still necessary to verify age; should allow to see small details, and can be partial. Faces are an important factor to consider in age evaluation.