Han dynasty large jar

Started by Stan, Apr 24, 2015, 02:26:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, can you tell from these pictures if this is a period Han dynasty Jug.

Stan

Here is the last set of photo's.

peterp

Hi Stan,
First I want to emphasize that I have almost no knowledge regarding porcelain earlier than Song or Tang. However, I have seen a number of apparently genuine items and fakes which were Han or earlier. They look completely different.
I would think this is a modern creation, shape, glaze, etc. have nothing to do with Han, or any period I know a little of.
The only part that may have some resemblance is the area shown in the bottom picture.
The mouth and handle look as if they were taken from something else, while the brighter clay of the shoulder area looks as if it was used to attach the mouth/handle part. Not sure if that shape did exist at all in any period or if it is new. Usually the mouth of Han and earlier jars looks completely different. An image search will show you that most jars (or all?) of that period usually did not have handles, and many were imitating the shapes of bronze vessels of earlier periods.

I assume that you are aware that the second picture from bottom shows that a major part of the vessel was either reconstructed, or that the whole vessel is a new construction? The top/mouth part and sides show at least three different types of body colors, and you cannot have only the mouth and handle glazed, but not the rest. BTW, I believe that glaze did not exist in the Hand dynasty. In addition, according to the little that is known to me of Han dynasty and earlier item seems to be mainly gray or greenish and other glazes, many having a silvery surface from mercury in the glaze.

Han dynasty and earlier items are a field that need a special study.

Stan

Thanks Peter, the seller said it was Han dynasty, I had my doubts, thanks for confirming.