please help with artist mark/information on Antique Chinese decorativ"rice" Bowl

Started by marlin, Apr 24, 2015, 06:09:29

Previous topic - Next topic

marlin

It's in very nice condition,with age.decorative art work,gold placed rim.antique decorative "rice" bowl.does anyone know anything about the writing in chinese,and the makers mark,artist on bottom.any information is appreciated.THANK'S

peterp

This is more recent, a couple of decades at the most, perhaps less. The content of decoration and painting style are nothing traditional.

marlin

Thanks for the response PeterP,thank you for your thoughts,but I wasnt really asking for age,and to make a long story short I already know for a Fact that it's Over 20 years old.I can say I'm 100% sure it's pre1976,beyond that I don't know for sure on age,possibly 60's Idk give or take . What I WOULD like to know Is what's the writing on the inside of the bowl say or mean??? And I would like information on the artist/ mark/hallmark? The mark on the bottom of the bowl???,the MARK above the "for decorative purpose only".  Who is it by,or mean/say????. information  would be great,thanks

peterp

It says it was made in the Wanli reign of the Ming dynasty. You cannot rely on marks for age.
What concerns the latter, I do not deny the possibility that the bowl was made earlier in the 20th century, but this is limited to the bowl (body) itself. The thick enamel painting is mostly a sign of over-painting, that is a decoration that was added at a later time. And the decoration can hardly be old, even if the body was made in the mid-20th century. The warning at the bottom seems to have been mainly added in Hong Kong or Macao.

Stan

It also means, " Do Not Eat Food Out Of It" because of the possibility of lead that is in the paint, is a health risk.

marlin

maby il have this checked out by a Professional..,just for the heck of it.....Thanks for the replys,and letting me know  what the inside of bowl writing means. I want to know about the artist makers mark/hallmark?????the ARTISt MARKING??????, that is ABOVE THE,not for food use writing, (I DON'T NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE NOT FOR FOOD USE WRITING) I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE ARTIST MARK ABOVE THAT,And yes I know that your not suspose to eat out of it..that's pretty self explanatory,an that's why I asked Nothing about that. SO Tell me about the ARTIST mark above it??????:,that should say it all and tell a lot,plus giving the writing inside.. Here's another pic of the ARTIST mark. And a few others just because.
Also i DONT agree WITH YOU ABOUT THE PAINT BEING DONE AT A LATER TIME, I THINK YOU'RE WRONG THERE......My opinion,an my opinion The Paint is original with the bowl. I and other  looked it over pretty good,and it is all very consistent,with the painting being done at the same time frame the bowl was made,it's not hard to see that holding it in person,I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to antiques,but I'm not an expert on this bowl,and the ARTIST MARK/CHINESE writing. The pictures you are seeing do not do any justice,ther bad pics with bad lighting,hard to even see the true colors and details.  THAT'S WHY IMASKING ABOUT THE ARTIST MAKERS MARK THAT IS ON THE BOTTOM?,AND ABOUT THE WRITING INSIDE OF THE BOWL. These are the two questions I only wanted answers for. Thanks

Stan

Hi Marlin, what I meant to say is that in the 70's is when they started righting these do not use for food messages so I do not think it could be earlier and as for the mark, I do not think that is a mark but a mistake instead, it dose not look like any mark that I have ever seen, it is a Chinese vase but I do not think anyone could say where exactly it was mad in China, that is my 2 cents worth.

peterp

Excuse me saying so, but I would suggest to start learning about Chinese marks, instead of insisting on using them for identification. Read this first: www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/china-marks.html instead of relying on the mark like a newbie. Still much to learn...
And, just go ahead with consulting an "expert", if you just want someone to confirm your opinion. We here have only a decade of experience with Chinese antiques.