Chinese blue and white vase.

Started by Stan, Apr 04, 2015, 09:57:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, this came with the korean bowl that I purchased at the auction, however this is Chinese, Im not sure of age, it has the appearance of late 19th century, but there is a couple of things that make me doubt, the first is the foot, it is slanted on the inside, I'm not sure if it was done that way in the late 19th century also the shape is a bit unusual, it looks like they were trying to copy a rouleau shape and a baluster vase at the same time, also I would like to point out the blue color, in photo's 5, 6, 7, 8 JPG are the correct color blue, I will send 12 photo's to view, thanks for your expertise.

Stan

Stan

Here is the last set of photo's, I forgot to mention the hight is 41.5 cm, thanks for all your help.

peterp

Stan, I note that in general the painting is just off the normal, quality-wise. The houses are proportionally larger than anything I have seen, the painting looks more as if someone who just started painting was doing it. The top rim decoration is completely irregular. Normally, a decoration is either only on one side or one on both sides, with such vases, but they are not painted on the side in such a manner.
Also, the blue is looking as if it were of the later, chemical type in the pictures.
The body is undoubtedly old, though...

Stan

Hi Peter, do you think that this could have been for export and that the inexperienced painter was hired for production as the blue and white porcelain was in great demand at the time when this was made, the color blue is the same color blue on my other late 19th century Chinese blue and white vases, the lighting was not the best for taking photo's and some of the photo's look a lot lighter blue than the actual darker blue, it gives the appearance of a chemical blue, I have seen other pieces of late 19th century that were just as crude but they are usually drawn on one side and the other side of the vase left blank with just a white glaze finish, this one is has the decoration all around the vase, I was not certain if the shape with the lions on the sides with the top like this, I am not sure if the shape and style was done in late 19th century.

peterp

No, this is not export porcelain per se. It is impossible to tell how an item came to be made like this. Usually I would be suspect that the decoration was made more recent. In the old times they were more careful. And no, it is unlikely that they would let just anyone paint. In a kiln setting often several different artisans did work (paint) the same item. Some did only the outlines, some only specific decorations, etc.; it is unlikely that someone would paint the whole. That is in the old fashion when painting was a cooperative work.
The way the water and boatman are painted also makes it appear as if this is something newer. I would inspect the glaze and blue colors for the possibility of a later or second firing. But, this is not necessarily obvious with blue and white items. You could also check if there are signs of an older on-glaze decoration having been removed.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I will inspect it carefully.