Is this a bad fake?

Started by heavenguy, Mar 20, 2015, 14:05:42

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hello,

I bought this piece today and I'm really confused about is authenticity. It has good elements for been real but some other fake elements that makes me doubt. What really bothers me is that the bottom is scratched in one direction. Also there is some unglazed parts; like the inside of the jar,  a few inside the lid.

it has lot's of small bubbles in different shapes, but on average on the same size. It also has warping edges, especially on the top part.  I don't know if the design got a little blur because of a kiln overheating it or not or is just simply a bad fake.  Amy help will be gladly appreciate it.

Stan

Hi heavenguy, I don't think you can call this a fake, it is a newer piece a couple of decades at the most, the lidded jar is so obvious of that it is new that it can't be a fake, unless the person you bought it from said it is antique, that would be a misrepresentation in my opinion,

heavenguy

Hey Stan,

thank you for your answer. The estate sale tag said that it was at least from early 20th century so I guess it was my bad. I still need the experience to fully identify this as real antique objects. For me it had all the elements that I read on forums and books, but looks like I still need to learn from experience and trial and error. I live in El Paso Texas and there is not much exposure to Chinese Art and porcelain. I hope I do a lot better on my next purchase...

once again thank you for your time

Stan

Hi Heavenly, at least your on the right track, just keep on learning, I have bought manny of fakes and I am still buy fakes, just ask Peter, he'll tell you.