Early republic vase

Started by Stan, Mar 19, 2015, 07:11:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I purchased this from a collector that said he has had this for 40 years or more, It looks like it is early republic to me, the porcelain is high quality and very thin, it is very translucent when you shine a light through it, it is all hand painted and hand drawn, my question is did they use a Qianlong mark in the Zhuanshu script back then during the early republic period, please let me know how old you think it is, thanks.

Stan

Here are the last of the photo's to view, thanks again.

Stan

I for got to ask if the writing on the scroll means anything and the height of the vase is 22.8 cm.

peterp

Stan, I cannot see what there is on the scroll.
The Qianlong mark is spurious. You need to be careful with this type of item. The 20th century items (not early republic) that are now on the market in the west are increasingly later. And  (people) many of the better decorations are painted in the traditional way.
Bottom and shape do not correspond to the classical shapes that still may be expected with early republic items. The black decoration is also typical for the 20th century. Do NOT rely on classical painting styles for age evaluation, always evaluate the whole. They appear also on newer items. If he had it 40 years, then he bought it new, probably. I assure you that on the jade markets here they sell high quality hand painted porcelain that is sometimes of better quality than the old ones. My personal view.
Again, the black decoration should always be a warning sign of 20th century items (later ones). It is more common on those.

Stan

Here is a better picture of the writing on the scoll and the true colors.

peterp

Looks as if it says "the richest"...

Stan

Thanks Peter, I have another vase that I have had for some time, it is still used as a lamp and has a 4 character red mark on the bottom, just by looking at the brass I would say that it is from the 50's possibly a little earlier but very similar to this vase however the shape is a little more traditional than this one and the black is not as black but the figures on this one is much more detailed, Thanks again for your expertise.