First purchase after reading book

Started by heavenguy, Mar 17, 2015, 09:04:53

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hello,

I got interest in collecting Chinese porcelain. I bought the "Introductory Guide to Antique Chinese Porcelain" E-book. I think it was an easy to read book and made my first purchase much easier but I still have a long way to go. This porcelain box was my first purchase but I'm still confused on what it is or the use of this box.

I also investigated about the Jian Ding Seal and I think is a "Guangdong (Province)". I only found the seal with a number 1 on this but the one I got has a number 2. I don't know if the number has a special meaning or not.  It also has a sticker that I think has some information on the piece but can't read mandarin or any Chinese dialect.

Any information will be of much appreciate it.

peterp

The label just means "Guilin Cultural Relics Store". That is where you or someone else before you bought it originally.
You can ignore the wax seals, as they are useless for a collector. They do neither certify that an item is antique nor that it is authentic. The seals are basically an export permit attached to the item for customs use, so that they let it go through. Items sold in the (probably state-owned) cultural relics stores will usually be allowed out of China. China has strict laws prohibiting antiques over 100 years old out of the country, unless they are relatively common.

What you have is a cricket box from the Guangxu reign, Qing dynasty.

heavenguy

Hi peterp,
I thank you very much for your help.