Little shallow Chinese bowl.

Started by Martiimum, Mar 05, 2015, 05:16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Martiimum

Hi.
I'm considering traveling to get items checked out in person. At the moment I'm trying to narrow down which ones are worth bringing with me. The nearest reliable places I can go are probably about 2-3 hours away because of where I live. Most of the items up her I mostly want to just know more about but I have a few which I need to know are worth being valued. I will need to consider carefully what I bring as I won't be able to travel that far very often.

I was on another online website looking for opinions and someone suggested I get the following appraised.  I'm aware anything can be faked. Can you please tell me what you think?

This little bowl has featured a person by a small tree or plant. It also has so called rust spots and bubbling. There is a little bit of a fancy shape to it (slightly only). The bowl is approx. 203mm in diameter and there are markings on the back. The plate is brown though, does this mean it isn't Chinese at all and rather from somewhere else?

I'm hoping to find out how old it is and if someone could guess what value it would be. Don't worry I won't hold anyone to their response. I just need to know if it will be worth the drive. I would like to get together a few of the bet items I have together before I even plan on traveling.

Thanks in advance.

peterp

This is a low quality fake, I'm afraid. And very easy to spot too.
It copies late Ming export porcelain known as 'Kraak' porcelain. This one is nowhere even near the quality of copies done in Europe, Japan, Persia, etc. in past centuries. And the real Kraak plates never had such marks.
I think this is a more recent fake trying to look old. In fact, the real ones made at Jingdezhen in the 17th century are often in better condition and look newer.
Search the main site for "kraak", for more information.

Martiimum

Thanks for your honest opinion. It will save me the trip out.
I will look up about kraak and learn something. Very useful information.