Republic brush pot?

Started by Stan, Feb 28, 2015, 03:09:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I could not find the mark in my book and I do not know if this is a brush pot or not, I have never seen one like this, it almost looks like it could be a water dropper but it would be to big for that I think, your comments would be greatly appreciated and could you tell me if there is a date and if you know what the marks are, I am clueless on this questionable brush pot, it is 8.25 cm tall and 10.79 cm wide, the mark on the top looks like it was stamped but then looking at it with a 10X loop it look like it was painted on with a brush in several places I can see brush marks. Thanks for all your help.

Stan

Here are more photos to view.

Stan

Here are the last set of photo's, thanks for all your help.

peterp

The cyclical date is either 1936 or 1996. The third character in the stamped mark is a simplified character used in the PRC, so it is not the former.
The first three characters of the stamped mark are those of the fifth mark under "exceptional reign marks" (use the search function on the site). They are frequently used in modern fakes. I do not know if the fourth character, meaning 'rare' has any influence on this, or if it is only to confuse issues. I doubt a capable porcelain painter of the 20th century would have created such a mark.

Stan

Thanks Peter, it sound like a modern creation, I suppose the shape is modern as well.