Republic brush pot

Started by Stan, Feb 27, 2015, 01:40:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I could not resist, I bought the whole collection from the antique dealer that got these from a kid that inherited his grandfathers collection, I am posting 18 photo's because this brush pot is very detailed, it is all hand painted and hand drawn, the painting is amazingly artistic, see how the leaves have parts eaten and the scenery is viewed from the wholes in the leaves, I have never seen that level of artistry, if this is a fake then it is the best fake I have seen, the mark is in my book " Pei Gu Zhai, studio of respect for the ancient, studio name of the painter Cheng Yiting, one of the Eight Friends. ,the group was formed in 1927, I hope there is something in the calligraphy that can tell us the age and possibly the authinticity of the brush pot, thank for all your help.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here are more photo's.

Stan

Stan

Last of the photo's, please let me know if you need any close up pictures, thanks.

peterp

It seems to say "summer of 1942"...  But anyway, this again is one of those where well known masters' works were copied in large numbers.
FYI, if this was really made by one of the Eight Friends of Zhushan, then its value would be at least in the four or five digits today. I am not enough into later Chinese porcelain to be able to tell if this is an original or imitation.
I have seen this specific decoration too many times before.

Stan

Thank you Peter for the reading of the characters and the date. The antique dealer that I bought them from said that the kid that brought these in said his grandfather was in the military and was stationed in China and bought all these things way back then, I bought the collection, eighteen items all together, with three other pieces that have this same mark, but they appear to be a little older than this piece, there is two more pieces that have a different mark, but are associated to the Eight Friends, and several other pieces that I can not read the marks, but some of the items are unique in shape or I just do not know what they could have been used for, but the whole collection is convincing of age, I know there are a lot of fakes, so I did not pay that much for this collection so if these are fakes then they are the best fakes I have seen and with a pretty convincing story, I will post the other items for your viewing, and thanks again, I hope for my sake they are real, that would be a nice chunk of change.

peterp

Stan, the first thing I would do with this type of thing is to find a few recognized works of this porcelain painter, either online or in books, then compare the painting style and have a Chinese (if possible a calligrapher) compare the writing style, and ask for an opinion on this being written by the same hand. All can be fake and is often faked, but the handwriting these artists use is more conclusive than any seal.

Stan

I agree, the hand writing is the best way to compare, for authenticity, I will see if I can find anything on line, thanks for all you help.