Square republic brush pot

Started by Stan, Feb 28, 2015, 01:58:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is another brush pot from the collection, I found this mark in my book "Gu Shi : Ancient Stone, the studio name of the painter Tian Hexian 1894-1952 he was one of the members of the Eight Friends, I have another piece with the same mark it is smaller but very unique in shape, it has eight sides and each side hand painted, this brush pot was made by hand and hand drawn and painted, the size is 10.8 cm tall and 12 cm wide, could you please tell me if there is a date and if there is anything in the writing that would be of interest, thanks again.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here are the last set of photo's to view, thank for viewing and your comments.

peterp

Sorry, I can read neither this handwriting nor seal characters. Could be sometime in the  republic period, judging by the colors used. But again, that is already out of my comfort zone as this requires special knowledge of individual porcelain painters.

Isofunfix

Not easy to find, talk like this.

Stan

Thanks for the comment Isofunfix, I have not been able to find such items around here, that is why I purchased this, I hope I can find out more about it, the internet here in the use is very limited and I can not read the Chinese sites.

peterp

Unfortunately it is also not easy in Chinese. Jingdezhen has some writing samples of porcelain artists online, but in Chinese; it is still difficult to find the right ones. Up to now the items that I checked this way all may have been later copies, even in a case where the painted decoration looked very much like that of the actual, original painter.  While the writing is the most important, there are some porcelain painters who used different aliases or names to sign; even more complicating is that some changed their writing style over the years.

Basically, due to the market situation, as soon as it comes to something signed by one of the Eight Friends of Zhushan, I am sceptical. Although many of their items were made in the earlier 20th century and therefore sometimes are not even antique, the price is sky-high because of the demand for their porcelain items. That invariably results in a flood of copies. Some will mention that it is an imitation in the text, but those who are copying purely for the money probably mostly don't.

Stan

It would be nice if there was some books on the early republic to the republic 1912-1949 that would be worth buying, and thanks again Peter for all you good advice.