Expert opinion

Started by Teunis van Eijk, Feb 24, 2015, 02:27:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis van Eijk

Good day to you all.

I have a lot of chinese porcelain. Can't imagine it is all fake or worthless. I am no expert but is it okay with you guys if I launch some photographs for you to judge. I mean a lot. I am trying to get a business out of arts and antiques and bumped into this chinese porcelain also but since I don't have a clue I don't know where to start.
I have bought all the books and have googled for many hours but am still puzzled.

Kind regards,
Teunis van Eijk

peterp

The best would be if you upload only two or three at a time and wait with more until these were answered. Each item should have its own post, and provide complete pictures. But, do not expect too much. Do not buy unless you know what you buy. Some people have collected for a decade or more and still, most are fakes. In the places I know in the Far East only about 1% of all porcelain on the mark is authentic. The rest is fakes or new items.
Also, do not expect accurate opinions on non-antique items. Vintage and newer are difficult due to the disappearing traditional styles and use of new materials.

Honestly, I do not recommend doing business with Chinese porcelain until someone has at least a few years experience in collecting, and can tell the more basic antiques from fakes. Like with Chinese paintings, there is large-scale faking going on, and it is requiring years of study to obtain more than average antique knowledge to discern which are genuine. Keep to reliable sources...

Teunis van Eijk

Thanks Peter,

Wise words. I was at auction houses where also chinese collectors bought some artefacts after they studied them with care. Some items they were bidding on I simply overbidded and they were mine. So likely I paid too much but I must say I do like the objects and if I can't sell them I keep them. But enough is enough and won't buy enything else again.

Regards,
Teunis