Phoenix motif vase

Started by Aun, Feb 17, 2015, 18:04:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Aun

Approx 60cm tall, the weight is significantly heavier as compared to vases of the same dimension.

Phoenix/peony motif, Straits Chinese perhaps. I find it unusual that the base is colored and glazed. Colours and glaze seem to point towards a Republic - mid century mfr date. Input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Aun

peterp

My Peranakan vases are smaller, but seem also potted a little heavier. Cannot help much with age as there is no mark. In the case of such porcelain the mark would be useful for dating, quite unlike other Chinese porcelain. The phoenix sure means it is Straits porcelain, but if the flowers depicted are peonies, they are more detailed than many such items.
The top decoration on the white glaze would be typical for about Guangxu, which also corresponds to the period such porcelain was made.
I'm afraid I cannot help much with dating, I think the books written by Singaporean authors on the subject are more helpful than any other.

Aun

Thanks Peter for your insight. I will try to get my hands on a copy of the straits Chinese porcelain book to learn more about these peranakan pieces. At least the weight seems consistent. Thanks!!