Rice Grain Platter

Started by kardinalisimo, Feb 11, 2015, 12:10:07

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Any age here or recent?
Thanks

peterp

Recent I would think. Actually, underglaze blue items with the rice grain pattern seem to be relatively rare before the 20th century. Older ones often had colors in the decorations.
That does not mean this pattern is rare. It is still produced in large numbers, judging by what is on sale now.

kardinalisimo

thanks. I find the bats and their wings a bit diffetent from most of the similar pieces online but don't know if that depiction is common for a certain period.

peterp

The decoration itself does exist in late Qing items, but the incised foot rim is something of a different time, probably much later.

kardinalisimo

Speaking of the footrim, recently I am finding out that when it is trimmed on the in and outside that means that the piece is more recent. Such footrims did not exist in Qing neither in Republic, right?

peterp

You should clarify what you mean with "trimmed". Almost every foot rim of the Qing dynasty is trimmed, but not in the same way.
But the incised line seen here is nothing traditional. I have seen it on a newer item that was said to be Chinese, otherwise it is found on Japanese porcelain.

kardinalisimo

I am sorry, I guess the right word is incised. And yes, seen it on Japanese pieces as well.

peterp

I would assume any antique porcelain with that incised line along the foot to be Japanese. If it is Chinese, it would probably have to be 20th century.

Stan

I have never seen the rice pattern on Japanese porcelain, have you?

peterp

No. It means probably that it is Chinese, but not antique.