Tang Sancai Pottery Horses?

Started by djw, Feb 01, 2015, 14:04:43

Previous topic - Next topic

djw

Hello. Wondering if these might be Tang Sancai? Or am I way off? I just started researching them. I'm not familiar with Tang Sancai and I don't know what to look for to authenticate them. They are not marked, aside from a large handwritten number 2 on the smaller horse and a tiny impressed number 6 on the back of the base of the larger one. The number 6 is actually used in the design on the larger horse. Both have crazing, little chips and cracks here and there, and they each have a broken ear. For what it's worth, they have significantly different sized holes on their bellies. The larger horse has the small hole. Any information will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Lucy

Yes, that is what they are supposed to be . I'm not an expert, and I am new here so I don't really know my way around  yet.But I can tell you they make these today for tourist trade Whether yours are old or not , an expert would be best to tell you.

Stan

Im not an expert but with the number 2 and 6 would make them modern, also the colors are wrong, more recent Im afraid.

peterp

Seems as if my previous response was not uploaded.

I do not know that much about Tang sancai, but authentic ones are rare, and years ago even their trade within China was forbidden. Large quantities of new ones are on the market, some being sold to tourists.
Basically, it can be expected that they have a specific type of crackles. Tang sancai were supposed to be all burial ware, but in more recent times it is thought that they all found use in daily life too. Figures like these horses would still be candidates for burial ware, in my view. But, the glaze looks a bit too fresh.
I would also like to not that the saddle may not correspond to the ancient ones (this would need some research). The were probably made of wood, with a different shape.

djw

Thank you all, for your help with these. Very much appreciated.