Robins egg blue vase

Started by Stan, Mar 22, 2015, 14:39:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, Im not sure if this is the right color for robins egg blue, I looked at one on Christies and one vase looked like the same color and that is what they were calling it, this is hand made and hand painted and has been drilled for a lamp, it has a red apocryphal Qianlong mark, the foot rim looks like Guangxu period, early republic, I will post 12 photo's for your viewing, please let me know what you think, thanks.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here is the last set of photo's to view, thanks again.

Stan

Sorry I forgot to tell you the size, it is 40 cm tall.

peterp

Glaze and decoration could be late Qing, but I have doubts that such a mark would have been used in the Guangxu reign. I would assume it is a bit later.

Stan

Thanks Peter, do you think republic period 1912 - 1949, is that the period that these red marks were used most?

peterp

I have no reliable data on that, Stan. I have a few items too that I cannot date. They have similar red Jiaqing or Qianlong marks in quanshu characters, applied on top of the glaze. If it were kaishu style marks it would be easier. The majority should have been underglaze blue if of the period. During the Guangxu reign these were unlikely.
The problem is that these are on the glaze, which adds the possibility that the marks were added at a later time.