A Pair of Chinese Blue and White "Double Happiness" Jars

Started by mikelv85, Feb 23, 2014, 21:38:48

Previous topic - Next topic

mikelv85

Hello Peter,
Found these the other day at a thrift store. They are not marked but I would imagine they are fairly recent and decorative but I'd just like to check and make sure.
They are 11" H X 8" in diameter. You can see the spiral throw marks inside on the sides and bottom. The lids are flat on the bottom and unglazed. They do look hand painted and each jar has 3 of the "double happiness" marks around it.  Thanks for the help Mike. :)

peterp

I would agree that these are 20th century. As the pictures are not close up enough, it is impossible to see age signs. However, the shape is not the traditional shape. I would think at least mid-20th century or later.
Handpainting on a large scale would have been use at least until the 1970s or 80s, now handpainted items are still made. It is not that all production is done in factories,now.

mikelv85

Thank you Peter.  I also noticed that the shape seemed a bit out of the ordinary. That's what attracted me to them. I really didn't see anything in the image galleries online to compare them to shape wise. Finding an undamaged pair this size that still had their lids, old or new, was unusual too. -Mike-