Sancai Style Glaze Pumpkin

Started by kardinalisimo, Mar 13, 2015, 09:03:12

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

I am thinking more recent Chinese/South Asian? Not seeing any scratches or other age signs. The glaze is shiny and glossy. Not sure if there was white slip but I think not.
Wonder why people don't use supports when they know the glaze will stick.

peterp

Chinese, but age is difficult to tell. 20th century probably.

There seem to have been support points (spurs). You will see two of them, the third was possibly where the large chip was broken off, perhaps during removal?  Spurs would be normal when the bottom is glazed.
The problem may have arisen in the kiln, due to sagging clay during the firing. Incidentally, the heavier part would have been further out from the support points, which caused the outer parts to touch down. Too much glaze can also be a problem.

Was the bottom uneven? In China they would probably fit a wooden seat or base specifically for such an item, if it was for decorative purposes.

kardinalisimo

My bad. You are right, I see the two spur marks. The glaze appears to be thin but maybe it slipped down to the bottom. When I bought it there was a felt piece on the bottom, no base or stand. It sits pretty good on flat surface.
I don't know if it was a commercial/decorative product. The bottom is not very attractive to be sold in stores.
Wonder why they did not fully glaze the bottom and left the center uncovered.
I am trying to find similar ones but no luck yet. By the way, it is a small piece, about 4 3/4" wide and 2 1/2" tall.