Fencai Vase

Started by kardinalisimo, Dec 28, 2014, 08:45:15

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Recent or has some age?
Thanks

peterp

Remember that I recommended to look at the foot rim shape? The base and foot rim mean it is more recent, in my view. The decoration is secondary, as most of it can be copied, even the age signs.

kardinalisimo

It was a lamp and I was not able to see the bottom. Had to judge only by decoration but still was not sure if the colors and the enamels were right for Late Qing/Republic.
When I took it apart I saw the footrim was slanted inward which would most likely mean the vase is more recent.

Stan

Hi Kardinalisimo, I have a lamp very similar to yours, I bought a while back, it is the same shape and different decoration but bright colors and the blue color on mine is a little darker, I took it apart and the bottom is the same as yours, there is a small remnant of a red mark, not out lined, Im thinking mid 20th century, the porcelain on mine is egg shell thin.

peterp

It happens to everybody...in the last number of years the proportion of "new" antiques has increased considerably. Not necessarily because the fakes have increased, but because the authentic ones on the market get fewer.

kardinalisimo

I usually try to unscrew the bottoms and inspect them on the spot but sometimes they are tight and cannot do that. I should bring small plliers with me :)
I am Ok with newer pieces if the price is right and the decoration is not sloppy.

Stan

As Peter was saying, because the real antiques are far, few and behing, these are gaining more popularity as the new antiques.